Tuesday, November 15, 2011

MERLOT Evaluation

For the MERLOT evaluation, I chose to evaluate a website. The site was called "Awesome Science Teacher Resources" and AWESOME they were! The site focuses on biology and chemistry topics in the classroom. All of the topics were completely relevant to the class that I am currently teaching, from cellular transport to photosynthesis. The site is broken down by subject area, topic, and finally, activities, labs, and links. There is a plethora of information on the various topics, including different activities that students can do, experiments that they can perform, and other websites they can look at to get additional information.

Any of the material on the site could be used in the classroom immediately. While I was browsing the site, I found a few activities that I'll be trying immediately in my next class. All of the national standards for biology are listed, so it's easy to see how the activities listed link to the standards. Most of the activities have a clear objective/purpose for the lessons listed. I did find a couple that didn't have the objective listed, but overall, most did. There were a lot of interactive type of things that students and faculty could use; for example, there was a Jeopardy game that teachers could use for a class game, or students could use in small groups to test their knowledge. I could use this immediately in my class because I have enough computers to divide my classes into small groups. Looking at all the assignments, I see that most would be easily incorporated into my classes.

The website is visually pleasing, and it has a lot of information. It's extremely easy to use. I like the site because it's laid out in an efficient manner. One click allows users to download something they want to see. Some activities are in PDF and some are in Word. I like both; either can be edited if need be. Students could use this site, but it is a better tool for teachers who are looking for supplemental information on certain topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment